Samuel Eto'o returns for Cameroon after government request

Samuel Eto'o
© PA Photos
Samuel Eto'o releases a statement confirming that he is available to play for Cameroon after meeting with the president earlier this week.

Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o has announced that he is available to play for the national team again after a government plea for his return.

Eto'o refused to play in last month's Africa Cup of Nations qualifier, a 2-0 defeat to the Cape Verde Islands, and labelled the infrastructure 'amateurish'.

The 31-year-old said that a meeting with Prime Minister Philemon Yang earlier this week persuaded the forward to change his mind.

Eto'o released a statement on his website, which said: "On the request of the highest authority of the Republic, I make myself available to the Indomitable Lions.

"I am encouraged by my desire to serve my country with the same faith, ardour and determination of 15 years ago.

"I am convinced that together, putting aside other interests for the country, we are capable, with God's assistance, of giving Cameroon football the panache, and shine of old."

Eto'o, who has scored 53 goals in 106 matches for Cameroon, will make his comeback on October 14 in the second leg of the Cape Verde qualifier.

Wesley Sneijder
Read Next:
Agent: 'No Anzhi move for Sneijder'
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole



Tables