Result: Johnstone's Paint Trophy roundup: Portsmouth crash out at Newport

Sports Mole rounds up the evening's Johnstone Paint Trophy fixtures as Portsmouth crash to a 3-0 defeat away to Newport County.

Portsmouth have been knocked out of the Football League Trophy by Newport County this evening, losing 3-0 at Rodney Parade.

Portmouth's Joe Devera looks on as Newport's Conor Washington celebrates scoring his team's third goal during their Johnstone's Paint Trophy match on November 12, 2013© Getty Images

In the Southern Area quarter-finals, Connor Washington opened the scoring for the home side after just five minutes, before Adedeji Oshilaja added a second 15 minutes later.

A goal-mouth scramble almost made it 3-0 before half time, before the ball was eventually cleared, but Pompey were unable to force a fightback in the second half, despite David Pipe's red card for Newport.

Washington put the gloss on the result when he added the third eight minutes from time.

In the rest of the Southern Area quarters, Peterborough United squeezed past Dagenham & Redbridge 1-0 in the evening's earlier kickoff at London Road.

Britt Assombalonga struck just before the hour mark to send Posh through to the semi-finals.

Assombalonga got on the end of a ball from Nathanial Mendez-Laing to finish off on 57 minutes for the home side.

Stevenage and Leyton Orient arguably played the game of the evening as the home side eventually squeezed past Orient 3-2.

Francois Zoko scored after just one minute and Lucas Atkins doubled the lead 10 minutes later.

David Mooney hit back with a goal five minutes later, before Filipe Morais restored the two-goal lead almost immediately.

Lloyd James pulled one back for the visitors, but Stevenage held on to go through to the semis.

Swindon Town clawed back a deficit to beat Wycombe Wanderers 2-1 at the County Ground.

Matt McClure put the visitors in the lead just before the break, although it was cancelled out by Ryan Harley's 76th-minute strike.

Nicky Ajose scored in the 90th minute to send the home side through to the semi-finals.

In the Northern Area quarters, it was a miserable night for Notts County as they went down 5-1 away to Oldham Athletic.

Ronan Murray opened the scoring after 13 minutes before James Tarkowski equalised.

Tony Phililskirk put his side in the lead from the penalty spot on the stroke of half time, before James Dayton added a third and Philliskirk claimed his second of the evening late on.

Jonson Clarke-Harris struck deep into injury to add to Notts' misery after Dean Leacock and Jordan Bove were given their marching orders for their respective sides.

Chesterfield cruised past Rochdale 3-0 at Proact Stadium thanks to two goals from Ollie Banks and a Gary Roberts strike.

Banks scored his first of the evening just before half time, and Roberts doubled after 72 minutes.

Banks then put the result beyond doubt six minutes later when he coolly slotted after some good work from Roberts in the build-up.

In the evening's early kickoff, Hartlepool United were beaten at home 2-1 by Rotherham United.

Tom Eaves scored the visitors after eight minutes, before Andy Monkhouse equalised for Hartlepool just before the half hour mark.

Lee Frecklington's effort deflected off Kieran Agard on the stroke of half time to give the visitors the victory at Victoria Park.

Results in full.

Southern Area Quarter-finals: Peterborough 1-0 Dagenham & Redbridge; Swindon 2-1 Wycombe; Newport 3-0 Portsmouth; Stevenage 3-2 Leyton Orient

Northern Area Quarter-Finals: Hartlepool 1-2 Rotherham; Oldham 5-1 Notts County; Chesterfield 3-0 Rochdale

Abdul Osman and Chuks Aneke of Crewe Alexandra celebrates with the trophy during the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final match between Crewe Alexandra and Southend United at Wembley Stadium on April 7, 2013
Read Next:
Live Commentary: Johnstone's Paint Trophy quarters - as it happened
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole