Sep 24, 2014 at 7.45pm UK at ​Selhurst Park
Crystal Palace
NewcastleNewcastle United
Gayle (25' pen.), Kaikai (92')
Bannan (105')
FT(HT: 1-1)
Riviere (36', 48'), Dummett (112')
Haidara (73'), Abeid (90'), Elliot (92')
Abeid (100')

Result: Newcastle United strike late in extra time to progress to fourth round

Newcastle United score a 112th-minute winner after being reduced to 10 men to beat Crystal Palace 3-2 after extra time in the third round of the League Cup.

Newcastle United have beaten Crystal Palace 3-2 after extra time despite going down to 10 men to progress to the fourth round of the League Cup.

The home side looked sharp in the opening exchanges despite bringing in 11 new faces, and Dwight Gayle went close with a low drive after just three minutes.

Emmanuel Riviere of Newcastle is mobbed by team mates after scoring during the Capital One Cup Third Round match between Crystal Palace and Newcastle United at Selhurst Park on September 24, 2014© Getty Images

Gayle did put Palace ahead in the 25th minute with a coolly-taken penalty after Wilfried Zaha was brought down by Daryl Janmaat.

Newcastle began to find joy in wide areas, but couldn't find a leveller until the 36th minute, when Emmanuel Riviere rifled a finish beyond Wayne Hennessey.

The home side almost went immediately back in front, but Rob Elliot tipped Barry Bannan's free kick over the bar to keep his side level.

Newcastle were given the chance to put themselves ahead for the first time in the tie two minutes after the break when Paddy McCarthy felled Sammy Ameobi, and Riviere made no mistake from the spot to net his second goal of the evening.

Gayle came close to levelling 15 minutes from time, but his header shaved the outside of the post.

Newcastle had plenty of chances to put the game to bed, but Hennessey denied Adam Armstrong a debut goal shortly after Riviere passed up the chance to secure a hat-trick when he placed a 25-yard shot narrowly over the bar, and the miss proved costly.

In the 91st minute, 19-year-old Sullay Kaikai - who had only been on the pitch for 10 minutes - reacted quickly after his initial shot was blocked and netted his first Palace goal with the rebound to send the game into extra time.

Alan Pardew's task became harder in the 100th minute when Mehdi Abeid was shown a second yellow card for a late challenge on Zaha as Newcastle had to play the remaining 20 minutes with just 10 men.

However, Newcastle dug deep and scored the winner in the 112th minute when Paul Dummett headed home.

There was still time for Palace to go mightily close to a very late equaliser, but Elliot produced a flying save to deny Adrian Mariappa.

Newcastle will travel to Manchester City in the fourth round.

Michael Williamson of Newcastle United celebrates scoring their third goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Newcastle United and Crystal Palace at St James' Park on August 30, 2014
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Newcastle, Palace level
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole