Andre Villas-Boas: 'Gareth Bale will stay'

Tottenham Hotspur's Gareth Bale celebrates after scoring against Manchester City on April 21, 2013
© PA Photos
Tottenham Hotspur boss Andre Villas-Boas says that Gareth Bale will be at the club next season regardless of their final position in the league table.

Tottenham Hotspur boss Andre Villas-Boas has insisted that Gareth Bale will remain at the club this summer.

The 23-year-old, who has scored 24 goals in 40 appearances this season, is regarded as one of the hottest properties in Europe.

Manchester United and Real Madrid have both been linked with moves for the Welsh international, but Villas-Boas has confirmed that Bale will stay regardless of whether or not the club secure Champions League football this season.

"The information that I have from the club, which was mistakenly written about last week, is that the player is here to remain, independent of the objectives of Champions League qualification being achieved or not," Villas-Boas told reporters at a press conference.

"I would be extremely surprised [if he left]. In football anything can happen. It's impossible to predict, but this is the assurance I have had from the club.

"We understand that the more awards the more recognition the player will have, the more media attention, but the club has to move forward by holding onto its best players. With the recognition and the further experience that he has had from this year, next year for Tottenham he will be even more assertive."

Bale was named the Football Writers' Association Player of the Year earlier this afternoon.

Gareth Bale celebrates after scoring his second in the Europa League match against Lyon on February 14, 2013
Read Next:
Bale named FWA Footballer of the Year
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole



Tables
LIVE SCORES VIDEPRINTER
expand