Nov 1, 2014 at 3pm UK at ​Celtic Park
InvernessInverness Caledonian Thistle
Guidetti (50')
Wakaso (57'), Mulgrew (90')
FT(HT: 0-0)

Drape (51'), Tremarco (59')

Result: Celtic see off Inverness Caledonian Thistle to move second

Anthony Stokes of Celtic celebrates after scoring a goal during the Scottish Premier League game between Celtic and Ross County on August 3, 2013
© Getty Images
Celtic move into second in the Scottish Premiership after seeing off Inverness 1-0 at Celtic Park.

Celtic put themselves firmly back into the Scottish Premiership title race after seeing off Inverness Caledonian Thistle at Celtic Park this afternoon.

The teams went in goalless at the break after the visitors started the match brightly, winning a series of corners just after the quarter-hour mark that ended with a free kick in a dangerous position, Virgil van Dijk fouling Marley Watkins.

Greg Tansey's free kick was stopped by the returning Lukasz Zaluska, and neither side could offer a meaningful effort before the break, half-hearted attempts from Mubarak Wakaso and Anthony Stokes not enough to break the deadlock.

The breakthrough came after the restart when John Guidetti, on loan from Manchester City, was fed by Anthony Stokes and found the back of the net when he smashed the ball high and hard into the Inverness goal.

Adam Matthews replaced Mikael Lustig on the hour as the visitors continued to be a thorn in Celtic's side, Marley Williams and Greg Tansey both putting the ball over the bar after good work from Inverness.

Billy McKay, scorer of the only goal when the two sides last met in the league, was introduced with 20 minutes remaining, though his eagerness to get his side back into the game ended in him being pulled up for a series of fouls.

John Hughes's last roll of the dice was to replace Ross Draper with Aaron Doran, who helped win a corner that led to a Carl Tremarco header from the centre of the box, again flying high and wide.

Despite their best efforts, Inverness did not test the Celtic goal as much as they could have and now find themselves in fourth with Ronny Deila's side moving up to second.

John Hughes manager of Inverness during the Scottish Premiership League Match between Motherwell and Inverness Caledonian Thistle at Fir Park on August 16, 2014
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Celtic, Inverness level at the break
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole