Jan 30, 2013 at 7.45pm UK at ​John Smith's Stadium
HuddersfieldHuddersfield Town
Crystal Palace
Vaughan (65')
Norwood (24'), Vaughan (54')
FT(HT: 0-0)

Delaney (79')

Result: James Vaughan gives Huddersfield Town win

Alex Smithies
© PA Photos
A James Vaughan goal gave Huddersfield Town a 1-0 win over Crystal Palace in the Championship.

James Vaughan came off the bench to score the winner as Huddersfield Town edged out Crystal Palace at the Galpharm.

The 24-year-old was brought on in the second half and scored the only goal of the game to give the Terriers the win over his old club.

Huddersfield move eight points clear of the drop zone to 16th in the Championship, while Palace stay fifth.

It was the hosts who had the first effort of the match after seven minutes, but Scott Arfield's long-range tester was comfortably held by Julian Speroni.

Palace responded with a chance of their own just a few minutes later, but Alex Smithies parried away Yannick Bolasie's drive after the latter had cut in from the left.

The Terriers came close just short of the half-hour mark when Neil Danns aggressively won the ball back before playing a one-two with Arfield, but he couldn't beat Speroni, who pushed the low effort behind.

The visiting keeper was called into action yet again just before the break when he saved from Danns, who volleyed his shot into the ground from a Calum Woods cross.

Andre Moritz had the next opportunity from a long-range free kick with 36 minutes gone, but his shot was saved low to Smithies's left.

After the break, it was Danny Butterfield who had the first chance of the half, but his sweet strike flew just over the Huddersfield goal.

The deadlock was finally broken with 25 minutes to play when James Vaughan latched on to an Arfield pass before cooly slotting past Speroni to give the hosts the lead against his former club.

Bolasie came close to an equaliser six minutes later, but his long-distance free kick whistled just past the post.

Town came close to doubling their lead just nine minutes from time after hitting Palace on the break, with Sean Scannell playing a one-two with Lee Novak before hitting his shot straight at Speroni.

Palace failed to create any real opportunities to level the match, and in the dying moments of added time, Arfield saw his chip over a stranded Speroni bounce off the top of the crossbar.

Julian Speroni
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Huddersfield and Palace goalless at break
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole