Sep 23, 2014 at 7.45pm UK at ​Emirates Stadium
Sanchez (14')
Rosicky (88'), Wilshere (92')
FT(HT: 1-2)
Tadic (20' pen.), Clyne (40')
Wanyama (26'), Forster (92'), Pelle (93')

Result: Nathaniel Clyne stunner downs Arsenal

Nathaniel Clyne scores the winner as Southampton fight back to beat Arsenal 2-1 in their League Cup third-round tie.

Southampton have come from behind to beat Arsenal 2-1 and dump the hosts out of the League Cup in their third-round tie this evening.

The visitors almost the opened the scoring early on when David Ospina had to rush quickly off his line to save at the feet of Steven Davis.

Southampton's English defender Nathaniel Clyne (R) shoots to score their second goal during the English League Cup third round football match against Arsenal on September 23, 2014© Getty Images

In the 14th minute it was the hosts who took the lead when Alexis Sanchez curled a free kick into the top corner of the net.

The visitors were then awarded a penalty after Tomas Rosicky brought down Sadio Mane inside the box, and Dusan Tadic stepped up to slot his effort into the bottom corner.

With five minutes of the first half remaining Nathaniel Clyne fired the Saints into the lead with a powerful long-range strike that flew past Ospina.

The Gunners went down the other and almost immediately equalised, but Lukas Podolski saw his effort saved by the keeper.

Arsenal's Chilean striker Alexis Sanchez celebrates scoring the opening goal from a freekick during the English League Cup third round football match against Southampton on September 23, 2014© Getty Images

Southampton came close to scoring a third soon after the restart when Davis saw his effort saved, before Florin Gardos headed over.

Ronald Koeman's side continued to look the more likely to score the next goal and Tadic was next to threaten with a low free kick that had to be beaten away by the keeper.

Midway through the second half Sanchez almost grabbed his second of the game for Arsenal, but he could only direct his attempt straight at Fraser Forster.

As the game entered the last five minutes Graziano Pelle came within inches of finding the net for the Saints, but he directed a header just over the bar from a corner.

Despite late pressure from the Gunners, they could not find an equaliser as Southampton booked their place in the fourth round of the Cup.

Nathaniel Clyne of Southampton kicks the ball during a friendly match between Southampton FC and UE Llagostera at the Josep Pla i Arbones Stadium on July 17, 2013
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Clyne fires Southampton ahead
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole