ECB apologises for Kevin Pietersen criticism

Kevin Pietersen of England kisses the urn after England won the Ashes during day five of the 5th Investec Ashes Test match between England and Australia at the Kia Oval on August 25, 2013
© Getty Images
The England and Wales Cricket Board apologises to Kevin Pietersen after its managing director claimed that he was "disinterested" and "distracted" during The Ashes.

The England and Wales Cricket Board have apologised to former England batsman Kevin Pietersen after the board's managing director criticised his attitude during the winter Ashes tour.

Paul Downton told BBC Test Match Special earlier this week that the 33-year-old seemed "disinterested" and "distracted" during the final Test in Sydney earlier this year.

An ECB statement said: "Paul Downton and the ECB both apologise to Kevin Pietersen for those comments."

Pietersen was sacked from the England team following the tour.

England's Kevin Pietersen raise his bat moments after reaching 50 runs during the third day of the third Ashes Test on August 3, 2013
Read Next:
Downton: 'Pietersen was disinterested'
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole