Golden Boy UK to launch as early as Spring

CEO of Golden Boy Promotions Richard Schaefer shakes hands with Anthony Ogogo during a press conference on January 16, 2013
© PA Photos
Golden Boy Promotions is ready to take over in the UK as well as the US as they prepare their first show in Britain this year.

Golden Boy Promotions have said that they are ready to launch the United Kingdom version of their business and could put on a debut show by Spring this year.

The promoting company, founded by Oscar De La Hoya in 2001, is ready to bring world-title fights to the UK.

CEO Richard Schaefer revealed that they will look to sign Britain's young Olympics stars, amid rumours that Amir Khan could be brought in as a business partner on the UK venture.

"We want to sign up some of those fighters who represented Britain at the Olympics," Schaefer told The Mirror. "Not necessarily those who won medals but fighters with the right talent and charisma.

"I will be spending a lot of time in the UK and I would take these fighters under my wing and nurture them, which is something I have not done before.

"The idea will be to showcase them in the US as well and we would put four fights a year in the UK with them and four in the US. We would hope to stage our first show in the UK in the second quarter of 2013."

One of the company's first signings has been Great Britain bronze medalist Anthony Ogogo, who signed up earlier this month.

Anthony Ogogo
Read Next:
Ogogo turns professional
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole