Nov 3, 2013 at 6pm UK at ‚ÄčFedEx Field
San Diego Chargers
Washington Redskins
Lissemore (11:43), Royal (0:42)
Morris (5:25)
Young (9:46)
Allen (4:10)
Young (14:20)
Young (9:02)

Result: Darrel Young hands Washington Redskins overtime win

The Washington Redskins score a touchdown in overtime to secure a win over the San Diego Chargers at FedEx Field in their NFL clash.

The Washington Redskins secured an overtime win over the San Diego Chargers to move to 3-5 in their NFL season.

The Redskins got moving downfield on the back of the arm of Robert Griffin III as he completed six of eight on the first drive for 68 yards to get his side off their own one-yard line to the red zone of the Chargers. The drive was killed, though, forcing them into a field goal.

However, they were prevented from getting points on the board as Kai Fortbath's kick from 25 yards out was blocked by Chargers defensive end Lawrence Guy to keep the scores level.

San Diego took the lead through their defense when Guy made another big play. He jumped up to block a pass from Griffin with his hands, and the ball deflected up in the end zone and was caught for the score by fellow defensive lineman Sean Lissemore.

Darrel Young of the Washington Redskins scores the game-winning touchdown in overtime against the San Diego Chargers during an NFL game at FedExField on November 3, 2013© Getty Images

The Redskins responded with an excellent drive under pressure as Griffin used his ground game this time and, along with Alfred Morris, he racked up rushing yards to move his side inside the five-yard line, where he handed the ball off to Morris again, who went in for the score.

Following defensive stands from both sides, the Chargers ended the half on a high note as they retook the lead thanks to a good drive from Philip Rivers, who spread the ball around to his receivers before finding Eddie Royal on a screen and he ran in for the 15-yard touchdown.

After the break, the Redskins clicked into gear and drew level following a five-minute drive from Griffin as he moved his team to the red zone and then handed the ball off to full back Darrel Young, who powered into the end zone.

Washington took the lead in the fourth quarter for the first time in the game with the same combination. Griffin again moved his side downfield before he full back did the rest as he went in for the score from one-yard out.

The Redskins moved to a 10-point lead when Rivers was intercepted by David Amerson and Griffin put his side in field goal range, allowing Forbath to fire a kick through the posts from 47 yards.

San Diego left their comeback late as Rivers found his rookie wide receiver Keenan Allen in the end zone for a score to move within three points, after the wideout had peeled off his man on a fade route for a 16-yard touchdown.

The Chargers thought that they had won the game when Danny Woodhead crossed the plane for a score but he was ruled out of bounds before he had got over the goalline. However, Nick Novak kicked a game-tying field goal to send the match into overtime.

Washington got the ball first in overtime knowing that a touchdown would win the game and they duly delivered. Griffin moved his team downfield before handing the ball off to Young for the third time in the game as he went over for the score for the win.

Chargers' Eddie Royal dives into the end zone against the Eagles on September 15, 2013
Read Next:
Half-Time Report: Royal hands Chargers lead in Washington
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole