Rex Ryan wary of Doug Martin threat

Ryan wary of Martin threat
© Getty Images
New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan says that the team are prepared for the threat posed by Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Doug Martin.

Rex Ryan has said that the New York Jets will be working hard to cover Doug Martin during their opening game of the 2013 season.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back recorded 1,454 rushing yards, 472 receiving yards and scored 12 touchdowns during his rookie season.

The Jets head coach told reporters: "Like any good back you have to have more than one guy on him. Obviously, he's a guy who runs hard, runs through arm tackles, so we have to make sure that we have a lot of guys flying to the football, getting off blocks and don't assume one guy has him on the ground.

"So we just have to set our edges, we have to have a lot of guys on him, and like I said, don't assume the guy is down because I've seen him run through some pretty good tacklers in this league.

"He is [a good pass catcher], and they're going to use him more to my understanding because he never played a whole lot on third down last year and he still had [49] catches for a [9.6]-yard average. That's something you have to be very mindful of and very aware of."

The Jets play the Buccaneers tomorrow.

Santonio Holmes #10 of the New York Jets warms up before their preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars at MetLife Stadium on August 17, 2013
Read Next:
Ryan: Holmes "looked pretty good" during practice
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole



LIVE SCORES VIDEPRINTER
expand