NFL Draft prospect Taylor Lewan faces assault charges

Taylor Lewan #77 of the Michigan Wolverines in action during the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl against the Kansas State Wildcats at Sun Devil Stadium on December 28, 2013
© Getty Images
A first-round prospect in this year's NFL Draft faces three charges of assault following an alleged incident on December 1.

One of the top projected prospects in this year's NFL Draft has been charged with one count of aggravated assault and two counts of assault or assault and battery.

Former Michigan Wolverines offensive lineman Taylor Lewan is alleged to have assaulted two Ohio State Buckeyes fans on December 1 following a match between the two teams.

The 22-year-old has been projected as the number two offensive tackle available in the Draft and is widely expected to be chosen in the first round.

He was the only person charged regarding the incident and could face up to 93 days in jail if found guilty, although at last month's NFL combine he denied being part of the altercation.

"I went over the Ohio State incident once before. I wasn't in any fight of any kind," Lewan told reporters last month.

"I was actually breaking something up and some guy said that I slugged him, but that's not who I am off the field, that's not the kind of person I am. It might seem that way because of the way I play football, but that's not the way I am as a person."

Lewan started 48 games at left tackle for Michigan and was named the Big Ten's offensive lineman of the year on two occasions.

Adewale Ojomo #71 of the New York Giants in action against the New England Patriots during an NFL pre-season game on August 29, 2012
Read Next:
Ojomo arrested on prostitute charge
>
You May Like
Recomended from Sports Mole



American Football on LockerDome
LIVE SCORES VIDEPRINTER
expand