Sports Mole welcomes speculative applications for part-time writers who can produce sports news on a variety of areas across the site.
The Position: While we are not currently seeking new writers for specific shifts, we always welcome speculative applications in the event that work should become available. Part-time general sports news reporters are home-based and paid at a rate of £7 per hour. Availability at weekends is essential.
The Applicant: Successful applicants will have:
- The ability to write quickly and accurately in accordance with the house style.
- Strong sub-editing skills to allow for potential growth of the role.
- An interest in sport in general and be comfortable writing about football, cricket, rugby union and tennis, as well as other sports where relevant.
- A fast and reliable home internet connection and access to an alternative connection in the event of the former being unavailable.
- The ability to source and select news suitable for coverage on the site. Access to sports channels, in particular Sky Sports News, is essential.
Hours: Shifts consist of three to four hours and are allocated on a monthly basis. Allocation on a given month is variable and dependent on availability within the team.
Application: Your application should include the following:
- A covering letter, explicitly listing your availability for work in a typical week
- Your CV
- Three news stories written in the house style. The stories should be written specifically for the purpose of the application - previous clippings/personal blogs will not be read. The samples should be news stories (not features, not results) and at least one should be for the football section of the site. Applicants should familiarise themselves with the site's style prior to submitting samples.
- Applications not including all of these components will not be considered.
Please send complete applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.